Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

ME EXPERIENCE MEETING ALI-OLLIE WOODSON


While I was typing my tribute to former Temptation lead singer Ali-Ollie Woodson, I decided to whip out my "Emperors of Soul" boxed set and rock The Temptations' classic "Treat Her Like A Lady" a song that he co-wrote with Otis Williams which became a huge hit for the Motown legends peaking at # 2 on the R&B/Soul charts in 1984.
As I listened to his famous riffs, I began to reflect on seeing him.
It was October 1988 and my cousin had won tickets to see The Temptations and The O'Jays live at Radio City Music Hall. She was unable to attend becasue she and her ex had moved into their apartmetn so she gave decided to give them to me and her mother, my aunt Laurtette who like me was shocked to learn that we had front row seats.
I had enjoyed the O'Jays perform, but when the Tempts came onstage, I was excited, Dressed in a Black and yellow sweater, Black linen pants and pattern leather shoes, I was in my seat excited, and my aunt ssid Shawn look at the limo. They had a limo come from under the stage, and when the DJ were announcing the group, I was more excited. Introducing Otis Williams, Richard Street, Ron Tyson and Ali-Ollie Woodson I gagged.
'Whre happened to Dennis" I asked my self as the group performed "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" It didnt' matter because I was in my seat doing the routines amd singing along to the songs (Some I never heard before).
What I remember about the concert was how he performed bass singer Melvin Franklin's parts (Melvin was recovering from throat surgery) and how he enteracted with the crowd. He shocke my hands 5 times and gave me a thumbs up. He was suprsed to see a tall skinny Black teenager in the front row enjoying the sounds of Motown. After the concert me and Laurette went to the stage door to get autographes and Otis came to the baracade and signed my picture with my pen. Then Ali-Ollie came out and told us he would be back. He was escoritng his girlfrind to the limo. (Talk about class)
He came back and signed autographs for the fans. When my aunt pulled out a 20 she told him that was all she had his reply was 'that's alright." Then he took my pictue, signed it and shook my hand for the 5th time.
Welcome back I said
Thansk he said before he left.
It was a blessing that I had the authors of my favorite song autograph my picture (though I can't find it). I almost didnt' wash my hand for 3 days.

No comments: