Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MY INTERVIEW WITH PROUD LESBIAN MUSICIAN AND ACTIVIST



Lori Michaels is getting a buzz with her talents, looks, positive spirit and activism. Originally a child performer, the New Jersey native has been fighting for the rights of Gay youth since she was a teenager and her unselfish deeds have been rewarded with her being named Curve Magazine’s Entertainer of the year and DJ’s playing her music on their shows non-stop. I had the pleasure of meeting the talented singer/songwriter at the Our Youth benefit concert and right before I fixed me a plate of food, I had the opportunity to interview this wonderful lady.

Q: WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU PERFORM
A: I’ve been doing Pop, Dance, A little fusion of everything. I have a collection of love songs and depending on the venue, and the show, I have an act called Me and The Girls, and we’ve been headlining at Pride festivals and clubs nationwide, helping to celebrate the release of our CD called “Living My Life Out Loud” (and) we’re also coming upon 20 years on our non-profit organization anniversary called ‘Reach Out Inc.” Entertaining and also raising awareness and funds when we can for causes that our community cares about and should care about.

Q: HOW DID YOU GET INTO MUSIC?
A: I love music! I started piano when I was two -and-a-half years old and piano lessons. Dance lessons right after that. I started singing in church, and I just love music (and) it completely feeds my soul (laughs and smiles).

Q: WHO ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE ARTISTS?
A: That’s an open-ended question. I have different kinds of taste. I love the female artists who are out. Pink, Beyonce, Rhianna is awesome. I like the guitar or piano soloists. I’m into all types of music; Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop. You know, different types of music. As a singer/songwriter/performer, I tend to lean towards those artists that not in any disrespect but do more than just hold the microphone (both laughs) so I when there’s someone who pops out as a total package and works it, I enjoy them as well.

Q: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PERFORMING?
A: I’ve been performing professionally since I was a kid. I was a showbiz kid. I got started at the Broadway Dance Center in New York City. Dancing first. Then I got into the entertainment business, but never really fully engaged in the business. I just recently started my own production company a few years ago, and that’s when I started targeting the LGBT community. I’m on out artist and I’m proud of who I am, and I’m lucky the community have embraced me as a entertainer, singer, songwriter and as someone who lives their life out loud.

Q: GREAT POINT. THERE ARE MANY OUT ARTISTS WHO ARE RECORDING AND PERFORMING ALL GENRES OF MUSIC INCLUDING POP, ROCK, R&B AND HIP-HOP, BUT MAINSTREAM RECORD EXECUTIVES WOULDN’T SIGN THEM IF THEY’RE NOT SINGING HOUSE MUSIC. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT?
A: I think that the music industry has changed so much and I really think its gonna continue to yet be seen; it’s gonna be an interesting time to see who comes out on top and what’s really played out there and that radio stations and video shows and the digital world. I’m leaning more towards trying to believe that the music that’s put out will speak for itself, and I hope that’s the case because there are so many talented musicians, performers that will never get a record deal and that will never get that big record deal, and you know it’s gonn be great if the times change and be able to do what they love and get it out there.

Q: YOU ALSO HAVE YOUR OWN ORGANIZATION. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN RUNNING IT?
A: My non-profit organization is called ‘Reach Out Ink’ I started it many years ago when I was in high school and it’s really become an umbrella organization for various causes and we raise funds to help various communities and local families. It’s a small organization that does really big things and that’s the main reason I’m here tonight. And I believe in helping this organization..

Q: YOU ALSO SUPPORT MANY AIDS CHARITIES. HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO SUPPORT THE COMMUNITY?
A: I’m on the honorary board for the Joey Defellow AIDS foundation. We have supported local AIDS organizations and the nationally recognized as well. I’ve met a lot of people; especially kids and teens and they’ve touched my life in ways that I cannot really describe and I will continue to do whatever I can to help people living with AIDS.

Q: DO YOU HAVE ANY NEW MUSIC COMING SOON?
A: My CD was jest released a couple of months ago. It’s available digitally everywhere and in selected stores nationwide. We’re gonna be hitting at the top of the year with a dance radio campaign for a remix of my single “Meet Me at the Partay” and I’m also gonna be doing a couple of other collaborations and other projects for my music.

Q: IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO PERFORM WITH ANY MAINSTREM ARTIST, WHO WOULD IT BE?
A: Right now, I would love to perform with Pink.


For information and updates on her music, check out the following:
www.myspace.com/lorimichaels
www.lorimichaelsproductions.com

No comments: