Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Thursday, June 5, 2008

ONLINE CHAT WITH TALENTED AND ASPIRING WRITER


Since the creation of MYSPACE, many musicians, dancers, and directors have been using the popular site as a way to market their music, videos and promote their parties, and aspiring author Nelsom Mallory is using the site to showcase his novel "Faggots Are Funny" which has been gaining rave reviews and intersts from publishers.
Born and raised in the Bronx, Mallory, a graduate of N.Y.U. began writing while he was in high school, where his humanities teacher who was impressed with his work encouraged him to pursue his writing, which is something he's been doing passionately. The talented and down to earth writer took time to interview me via email to speak about his start in writing, the inspiration for his story, and what he plans to do in the future.

SUPREMEWRITER: Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to interview you. Can you give the viewers some information about yourself please?
NELSON: Well, I'm innately creative and have been all my life. I intend to use my creativity to inspire others.

SUPREMEWRITER: How did you get into writing?
NELSON: I started writing creatively when I was in high school and my humanities teacher wrote on my alternate ending for the play The Crucible that "this should be published."

SUPREMEWRITER: Your stories and series "Faggots Are Funny" are getting lots of positive response from viewers on myspace. What was the inspiration for the story? NELSON: I've always wanted to tackle the issue of the hyper-masculinity and self hatred among some closeted gay men. This story gave me an opportunity to address the many historical variables that keep countless men from embracing their sexuality. I really tried to implicitly incorporate the amalgam of social conditioning that dictates the behaviors of not just closeted black gay men, but black men in general.

SUPREMEWRITER:I've notice that the story deals with a coming of age situation where a college student is having problems coping with his sexuality. What was the inspiration for that?
NELSON: I'm not that far removed from college life, and so young black gay males in college has been a consistent theme in my writing.

SUPREMEWRITER: Another thing I like about the story is how Malik's lover is secure with himself and is able to speak up for himself and check Malik's ass when he gets out of line. How important was it to have the secure Gay man strong-minded?
NELSON: It was a concerted effort that was meant as a direct contrast to Malik and really illustrated the spectrum of self-acceptance among black gay men.

SUPREMEWRITER: I also applaud you for having the characters in college and pursuing education and goals. How important is for stories to show Black and Latino Gay males pursuing education and careers as to partying all the time, and not being serious about life?
NELSON: I personally prefer to write these characters as in college or having gone to college because I do believe that it positively resonates with readers. It's a popular theme of mine, but I've also written stories where the characters are not formally educated and I will continue to do so.

SUPREMEWRITER: The chapters are the rave on myspace. How does it feel to have a following without having your work published yet?
NELSON: It's thrilling. My readers inspire me because they challenge the notion that most of the country is anti-reading.

SUPREMEWRITER: Now that the book is completed have you been meeting with any publishing companies to have it published?
NELSON: Yes. It's an ongoing process and I'm currently making a lot of progress.

SUPREMEWRITER: What will make your novel different from the other Black Gay novels that are on the market?
NELSON: I hope that readers of all backgrounds are able to identify with the book's protagonist, because like so many he is both full of angst and optimism.

SUPREMEWRITER: If you don't find a publisher, will you consider publishing the book yourself?
NELSON: Self-publishing is certainly an option.

SUPREMEWRITER: Which writers do you admire and respect and why?
NELSON: Many, but my favorite book and by default my favorite author is Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

SUPREMEWRITER: Do you have any other books in the works?
NELSON: I am currently coming up with ideas for a second novel.

SUPREMEWRITER: If your book was to be made into a movie, who would you like to play the main characters and who would you like to appear on the soundtrack?
NELSON: I can't think of any particular actors, but I would love for Stevie Wonder to contribute any of his amazing work.

SUPREMEWRITER: You're a graduate of NYU. What was it like being a Black Gay male attending a prestigious school and how did it shape you as a person?
NELSON: It was invaluable. It was the ideal school for me. The right college experience prepares you intellectually, but it's also made up of fun times and amazing memories.

SUPREMEWRITER: In addition to writing do you have any other talents?
NELSON:I would love to produce a film in the near future.

SUPREMEWRITER: What do you like to do when you're not being creative?
NELSON: Friends, Friends, Friends!

SUPREMEWRITER: What advice would you give to an aspiring author who wants to publish a book and how do you want your book to make an impact on Gay literature?
NELSON: To my fellow aspiring writers, make sure the work is well written and engaging. As far as impact, I'm not as concerned with quantity as I am the quality of impact my work might have. I know different people will take something different from my work. I just want it to be positive.

To see Nelson's work, you can log on to
www.myspace.com/storiesbynelson
www.storiesbynelson.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Possibly the most amazing blog that I read all year! jasmine bridal Louboutin Shoes buy louboutin shoes. Bridal Dresses