Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Saturday, March 17, 2012

GERMAN BORN-QUEENS BRED GAY RAPPER AND ACTOR SPEAKS

Whenever people first meet rapper Lester Green, many gets the impression that he's a hardcore rapper due to his looks and attire, but he's not a hard core thug. Lester is an openly gay rapper who performs Hip-Hop music that has different genres of music including Rock and Dance that has a unique style as well as given him a large overseas following. Green, who holds a Bachelors Degree in English, has also been adding modeling and acting to his resume and has plans to put out an calendar. I spoke with him via telephone about his career.

DA-PROFESSOR: How are things going?
LESTER: Busy. Busy. Busy. Enjoying life. Enjoying the things I love to do. Acting. Performing. Auditioning. You name it.

DA-PROFESSOR: How did you get into music?
LESTER: Actually, my brother used to be a rapper years ago. And he had a group. Every night he would come home from the studio and he would play different tracks and I wasn't into Hip-Hop music. I would listen to them because my brother was making music and he was thrilled about it. I just watched from afar. Then he got locked up and it was like he passed the torch to me. While he was in jail, he would rap over the phone and mail me rhymes and it slowly transended to me being a rapper.

DA-PROFESSOR: Which rappers and musicians inspire you?
LESTER: Well, let me start with the local acts. Elijah Black. I've been listening to his music for a few months. I love his music. I love his work ethic. Who else inspries me? Tori Fixx. 50 Cent. Lil' Wayne. Emeniem. Kayne West. I love these artists cause they have their own idenity. They're not trying to be that person or this person. They make very good music.

DA-PROFESSOR: I understand that you was born in Germany. What was it like living in Germany as a child?
LESTER: Good question. I was born in Germany, but I didn't stay that long. I was there for three or four years before I knew it, we upped and moved so I don't know the language, but it's still a part of my roots. Good question.

DA-PROFESSOR: Thanks. What other places have you lived?
LESTER: I lived in Georgia. I lived in El Paso. Then we moved to New York. I haven't done much traveling and I think that as I get older, I want to see more. My partner has been everywhere from France, Italy. You name it. He used to ask me where would you like to go and I say I don't know. I haven't been anywhere. I think I need to expand and travel more. Especially if I can do that through my music. That would even better, but if I can't do it like that I'd like to see different people. Different cultures. Different languages. I really want to go the U.K. and tap into that industry.

DA-PROFESSOR: Me too.
LESTER: Yeah. They're supportive of their artists. I'm not too sure if they're gay friendly, but as far as music is concerned, they support their own. And of course there's L.A. and I went to Vegas. I want to get back there to do shows.

DA-PROFESSOR: You're a openly Gay Rapper. What made you pursue an career as an openly gay rapper?
LESTER: I figure there weren't too many people out there doing it so I could do it, do it better than them or be competitive with those artists, I would possibly get the recognition, and I of course know nothing comes easily; you have to work to have work at it. You have to put in the leg work.

DA-PROFESSSOR: You're a sexy Black Gay man with a sexy physique. Do you have issues with females being shocked learning and knowing that you're gay?
LESTER: That's a good question. I co come across strong and sexual, but believe it or not, women were never interested in me. I find that hard to believe. ususally women fall for the good looking guy. I consider myself a good looking guy. The women never liked me in that way. They always come to me like brother-sister type thing. They came to me for advice or to listen tto. It was never sexual and it used to bother me because I wanted them to like me that way even though I wasn't straight. But I wanted to have their attention. It never happened and I think that's another reason why I came out and be who I am.

DA-PROFESSOR: What are the pros and cons of being a gay rapper?
LESTER: I don't know. I really don't like the tern 'gay rapper' because I don't see myself as just that. I'm trying to build a brand. Of course I do music and I'm a rapper, but I don't wanna be known as a gay rapper because I'm doing commercials, televisions and movies so I don't wanna be pigeonholded and boxed in. But if I had to do answer that question, pros and cons, I think with everything there's pros and cons. Lot of people tend to think he's a gay rapper, he's kinda deal with those unusal things. It's the same across the board. As an artist, especially if you're trying to be an independent artists, there are ups and downs. Regardeless if you're gay or straight.

DA-PROFESSOR: Lester, you brought up an interesting point. There are many people who still think that gays are supposed to be flamboyant, hairstylists, make up artists, and fashion designers, yet they don't wanna accept the fact that there are many gay males who are masculine, into Hip-Hop, athletics, and who can rock fitted caps, baggy jeans, timberlands, nikeys and adidas. Tell me from your prespective why is that?
LESTER: That's a great question. I don't wanna say television has a great influence of what people see, but it does have an influence. Me personally, I just wanna be different. I'm not trying to deny my sexuality by wearing do-rags, boots, and fitted caps. I think people are into me because I'm true to who I am.

DA-PROFESSOR: You're also pursuing an acting career. What prompted you to pursue acting as well as rapping?
LESTER: Well I don't know for sure, but for some reason, people say music and television go hand in hand. You see artists like 50 Cent make that transition from music to television. Like I said before, it's about branding yourself. Why limit yourself to one genre or one specific thing. Why not do all?

DA-PROESSOR: Who are some of your favorite actors?
LESTER: I like Denzil Washington. I like what he represents. Professionalism. He respects his craft and I respect people like that. Antoine Fishcher. Derek Luke. I usually don't watch alot of movies, but as an actor, you really need to learn your craft and know your craft. Who else do I like? Queen Latifah. I like Whoppi Goldberg. I like what these people represent. I like Vivica A Fox. I met her at the LGBT Center. She's real down to earth. I like people who are exceptioal. I don't like people who act like they're bigger than who they are.

DA-PROFESSOR: What do you like about Queen Latifah?
LESTER: I'm still amazed. She's constantly reinventing herself. She's so real. People connect with real people. It's just the vibe she gives off. There's nothing fake about her. People like Ellen Degeneris because they're great people and to top it off, they're really talented.

DA-PROFESSOR: A few years ago, you was in a Gay Hip-Hop documentary. How did you becomwe involved in that project?
LESTER: It featured other acts such as Bry'nt and Shorty Roc, and that came about through Carmello, the president of outhiphop.com. I really enjoyed the documentary because it gave people a better idea of what it's like to be a gay rapper.

DA-PROFESSOR: You also took part in performing at the memorial for the late Joseph Jefferson, who shockingly and sadly took his own life. What was it like performing for the late activist/party promoter?
LESTER: It was a great opportunity. I wanna thank James Saunders and Lawerence Pickney for that opportunity. I really wanna do more of that work where I'm supporting the movement and doing charitable things. It was a great opportunity. He was very young and I didn't realize it was that prevelant.

DA-PROFESSOR: Who would you like to do a movie with?
LESTER: I don't know if I wanna do a movie with this person. I think his name is Jesse. He does alot of videos for alot of rappers.

DA-PROFESSOR: I think his name is Jesse Terreo.
LESTER: I love his music videos. As far as filmmakers, I like to work wiwth anybody who's willing to give me a shot.

No comments: