Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Monday, November 17, 2008

BEING NOMIATED IS A HONOR

Since I was a kid, I would always watch many award shows and dream about being at one and waiting to see if I would win in the category I was nominated for. This past weekend, I finally had the experience when I attened the Velocity Magazine Awards in Washingotn DC, where I sat and wondered if DJ Baker, the host of DA DOO Dirty show, who I assit and do research for would win and call me and his lover Eric J. Parker on stage to share in the victory. It didn't happen. We lost to another online radio host, and though we lost, I was happy to have the experience of being at an awards show and being nominted, but like Patti wrote in her 1996 autobiography "Don't Block The Blessings," losing ain't fun.
I could be better about it, but I'm not, because being at the show taught me the value of hard work and acheiving your dreams no matter what obstacles are thrown in your way, and that's one reason why I have respect for the show (though the producer should have made sure our hotel accomodations were taken care of more properly and that we were given ample notice about the dress code requierments at the club where the afterparty took place; he did however made sure we got into a better hotel though which compensates for the loss, and he had some hot talent perform with the exception of the VH1 lady perform).
As I writing this particular post, fixing a pot of turkey vegetable soup and listening to LaBelle's reunion album (Yes bitches, I'm an fan of old school/classic sould music), I just had some thought of how people with talent and gifts who don't always get the recognition that they deserve until much later in life and sadly sometimes when they die, and I recall when participating in essay contests at my former church when I was a teen. The first time I particiapted, I came in first place, but then they had to do a recount and I wound up being in second place. Alot of people were saying it was unfair, but I didn't care. I was happy to win. The last time I competed, not only did I win first place, but I won a 200 scholarship, and everybody was happy that I finally got my due.

SONGS PLAYED FOR THIS POST

ROLL OUT PERFORMED BY LABELLE
WRITTEN BY WYCLEF JEAN, JERRY, NONA HENDRYX, PATTI LABELLE, SARAH DASH
PRODUCED BY WYCLEF JEAN

SUPERLOVER PERFORMED BY LABELLE
WRITTEN BY NONA HENDRY, PATTI LABELLE, SARAH DASH
PRODUCED BY LENNY KRAVITZ

SYSTEM PERFORMED BY LABELLE
WRITTEN BY NONA HENDRYX
PRODUCED BY LENNY KRAVITZ

FEELS LIKE FASHION
PERFORMED, WRITTEN AND PRODUCED BY BARON

THROW IT ON ME
PERFORMED BY BARON AND BLACKBIRD
WRITTEN BY BARON AND BLACKBIRD
PRODUCED BY BARON

No comments: