Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Ra SHAWN-DA-PROFESSOR

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

PAINT THE WHITEHOUSE BLACK: OBAMA MAKES HISTORY




“It’s the answer that’s led those who’s been told for long you to by so many to be cynical, and fearful and doubtful about what we can achieve to put their hands on the arch of history and venture once more towards a better day. But tonight, because of what we did on this day. In this election, change has come in America.”

When I heard that Obama made history, I jumped out of my bed, and gave him a standing ovation while I played Michael Jackson‘s 1996 single “HIStory“ followed by Josie & The Pussycat‘s classic “You Come A Long Way Baby“ and George Clinton‘s classic “Paint The White House Black.”
“He did it!” I yelled as Peter Jennings announced this moment in history.
Barack Obama is one truly blessed man; who ever would have thought that this man of African descent who was raised by various relatives including his late mother and grandmother, who died three days ago, would be make history by becoming the first Black President of The United States of America?
His recent victory shows that Black people are capable of doing things and having positive influences over people, and the way he conducted himself during the debates and campaign, he showed the world how far Blacks have come. From being slaves, and fighting for equality including the right to vote, attend college and to have nice jobs, and now the white house has its first Black family.

How does this makes me feel? It makes me feel great to be a part of history again; the first time I voted was back in 1989, when former Manhattan President David Dinkins was running to be the first Black Mayor of New York, and I was glad to been one of many New Yorkers who had helped him achieve his victory. 19 years later, I participated in helping elect another Black man into office, and after hearing his speech, it made me be proud to be a Black Gay/SGL men, as well as make me realize that I can achieve anything despite the obstacles that may be thrown in my path.

My thoughts on Obama’s speech, he conducted himself with class, dignity, integrity, and humility. Especially when he acknowledged his former opponent John Mc Cain, who congratulated him on his victor, and quoted speeches from the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Senator Mc Cain fought long and hard for this campaign and he had fought even longer and harder for the country that he loves” the newly elected President said during his speech in Chicago.

I also loved he showed his love and gratitude towards his wife Michelle, and his daughters who he plans on giving them a puppy as a gift for his victor, which shows that there are Black men who cares about their family, and hopefully the media will start focusing on the men who are involved with their children’s lives, whether or not they’re not in relationship with the mothers of their children.

As I played the audio tape of his speech, I began to reflect on how one of my female friends had problems deciding on who she should vote for; Obama because of he was Black and Hillary because of her gender. She decided to vote for Obama as well as other Black females who I’ve spoken to about the elections.
“I love Hilliary, but I don’t want her blowing up the world because she’s having a bad day” one author said.

There was one friend who at first refused to vote, because he felt that nothing was going to be done, but when we spoke, I was surprised to learn that he decided to be part of the solution by registering to vote.
“I’m gonna vote” he told me as we spoke Monday morning.

Another thing that I was impressed with was the amount of people who came out to vote, and as long as I’ve been voting, I’ve never waited a long period of time to vote. My time on line was approximately 45 minutes, but the touching part was seeing a homeless man vote in February, which impressed the staff who was working that day, and while some complained about his body odor, one lady wasn’t impressed.
“At least he came out to vote” she said.

I’m just overcome with happiness, and I’m glad that The White House is gonna be painted Black and it’s time for the world to stand up and bow to the world’s first (and hopefully not last) Black President Barach Obama and the first Black First Lady Michelle.

Songs played during this post and celebration

HIStory
Performed by Michael Jackson
Written by Michael Jackson-James Harris III-Terry Lewis
Produced by Michael Jackson for MJJ Productions, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis for Flyte Tyme Productions
1995 Epic/MJJ Records

I Know You Come Along Way
Performed by Josie & The Pussycats
1970 Captial Records

Paint The Whitehouse Black
Performed by George Clinton with Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Yo-Yo, Flava Flave and Kam
1993 Paisley Park Records.